Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Worm Farming

Well, we did it! We got our worm farm up and going...its kind of exciting, but at the moment we are in the beginning stages, kind of like those people who do chicken farming, they start out with a couple of chickens and a rooster, and then they let them multiply...well that's us.  In about a year, we will have, according to my math skills, and I did the numbers low...we will have roughly a half million worms!!!! HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF WORMS!!!

We plan on selling fishing bait. I would like to get a contract to supply to one of the bigger fishing bait companies, but my hubby wants to sell locally. I guess that's how we should start in all honestly.

A mature worm, lays an egg every 7 days.  Those eggs hatch every 3-4 weeks, and contain between 3-7 baby worms. So, in about a month, we will have eggs hatching on a weekly basis. My plan is to put all of the money we make into an account until we can just outright buy an out building. I'm thinking I would like one of those big steel ones they advertise.  Starting our own business is exciting and scary all at the same time!!!  The exciting awesome part is, if it actually takes off, and we can get bills paid off, and the stuff done to the house, we may be able to adopt sooner!!!! (hell yeah!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment